When it comes to finding out the length of your car, you have to use both your research and thinking skills. Surely, you have a lot of questions right now, particularly what is the right length of your car.
In this post, you will learn not only the accurate length of your car but other important details, such as the different types of cars and how to properly measure the length of a certain vehicle.
What Is the Average Car Length?
Simply put, the average length of a car is about 14.7 feet (4,500 mm). This is the length of a medium-sized car, like the Audi A4. Basing on this estimate, you will have a good idea of the length of your car. You must consider this as there are cars that are longer, while others are shorter.
If you want to know the average length of a small car, it is between 3,000 mm to 4,000 mm. Meanwhile, for the length of a large vehicle, it is between 5,000 mm to 6,000 mm.
The Different Types of Cars and Their Length
Being familiar with the different types of cars and their length will give you a good idea of the length of your own vehicle. Check them out below.
Family cars are practical vehicles and include models like the Audi A4 and Infiniti Q30. They are designed to provide more room for the occupants. Their dimensions are as follows:
- Height: 1,418 mm to 1,575 mm
- Length: 4,425 mm to 4,726 mm
- Width: 1,810 mm to 1,910 mm
Pickups include the likes of Ford Ranger and the Mitsubishi L200. Their measurements are as follows:
- Height: 1,755 mm to 1,815 mm
- Length: 5,205 mm to 5,632 mm
- Width – 1,760 mm to 2,008 mm
Pickups are huge vehicles that have a boot capacity and ground clearance of more than 4.7 meters. They also come with special features that promote comfort during hard and long drives.
Compact SUVs refer to vehicles like the Mercedes GLC Coupe and Jeep Renegade. These vehicles are suitable for anyone. Their measurements are:
- Height: 1,494 mm to 1,740 mm
- Length: 4,255 mm to 4,735 mm
- Width: 1,790 mm to 1925 mm
The boot capacity and ground clearance of compact SUVs range from 4.25 m to 4.5 m. These SUVs possess a more superior design than the MPVs.
Large SUVs include the Mercedes GLS and the Mercedes G Class. Their car dimensions are:
- Height: 1,623 mm to 2,035 mm
- Length: 4,662 mm to 5,130 mm
- Width: 1,760 mm to 2,088 mm
Current 4×4 vehicles and large SUVs are categorized by their lengths. Their boot capacity and ground clearance are higher than 4.7 meters. These cars have more 4WD traction and height and come with more special features for driving on hard terrains.
MPV, which stands for multi-purpose vehicles, refer to cars like the Ssangyong Rodius and Kia Venga. They are made of the following measurements:
- Height: 1,530 mm to 1,860 mm
- Length: 4,068 mm to 5,130 mm
- Width: 1,695 mm to 1,928 mm
City cars include the Hyundai i10, Smart Fortwo, and other similar models. Their measurements are:
- Height: 1,460 mm to 1,610 mm
- Length: 2,695 mm to 3,665 mm
- Width: 1,475 mm to 1,665 mm
Executive cars include models like the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo and BMW 4 Series Coupe. These cars have boot capacities greater than 4.7 meters. They cover the following measurements:
- Height: 1,377 mm to 1,529 mm
- Length: 4.628 mm to 5,004 mm
- Width: 1,810 mm to 1,910 mm
Estate cars include vehicles like the Jaguar X5 sport brake and the SEAT Ibiza ST. They cover the following car measurements:
- Height: 1,429 mm to 1,550 mm
- Length: 4,236 mm to 4,966 mm
- Width: 1,693 mm to 1,895 mm
These vehicles possess a boot capacity ranging from 4.2 m to 5 m. They are based on saloons and compacts. Estate cars generally have extended roofs to make more interior space on top of the boot.
Small crossovers include vehicles like the Suzuki S Cross and Ford Eco Sport. They have the following measurement:
- Height: 1,529 mm to 1,679 mm
- Length: 3,700 mm to 4,300 mm
- Width: 1,529 mm to 1,679 mm
Luxury cars are called as such since they focus more on the exterior length and size of the vehicle. Automobiles that are considered luxury cars include the Maserati Quattro Porte and the Mercedes SL. They have the following dimensions:
- Height: 1,294 mm to 1,496 mm
- Length: 4,631 mm to 5,624 mm
- Width: 1,877 mm to 1,980 mm
Luxury cars generally have these special features: a complete safety system, fully-retractable Vario-roof, front-base audio system, and various powerful engines.
Sports cars include the likes of the Mercedes S Coupe and the Mazda Mx-5. They have the following dimensions:
- Height: 1,116 mm to 1475 mm
- Length: 3,995 mm to 5,027 mm
- Width: 1,735 mm to 1,992 mm
The boot capacity for sports cars is less than 1.7 meters. While these cars are known for high-performance, they are relatively low profiles. Sports cars also have greater engine power than their luggage capacity.
Compact cars include the Honda Civic and the Citroen C4 Cactus. They have the following dimensions:
- Height: 1,424 mm to 1,530 mm
- Length: 4,109 mm to 4,370 mm
- Width: 1,729 mm to 1,823 mm
Mini cars include a wide range of car models, such as the Renault Zoe and Mini Cooper. Their dimensions are as follows:
- Height: 1,414 mm to 1,578 mm
- Length: 3,821 mm to 4,084 mm
- Width: 1,665 mm to 1,780 mm
Mini cars have tight dimensions for easy parking. They have more space than city cars but are smaller than the compact models.